History

Text Size: Increase text size Decrease text size

Established in 1910 by a group of American Baptist Churches to meet the region’s growing need for a caring home for widows and orphans, Baptist Homes Society quickly outgrew its first residence in West Newton, Pa. Five years after opening its doors, the organization moved and built its first facility in Mt. Lebanon. Two cottages were added to the campus in 1926, and a residential wing and intermediate care unit were added in 1951. A Nursing Center, which allowed Baptist Homes to provide a higher level of care to its residents, was dedicated in 1965.

Baptist Homes Society has seen tremendous change and growth since its origins over a century ago. Today, the organization operates two senior living communities – Baptist Homes in Mt. Lebanon and Providence Point in Scott Township.

Baptist Homes was the first senior community to offer HUD-financed housing in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Baptist Manor, a 100-unit apartment complex for lower-income adults 62 and over or mobility-impaired individuals, opened in 1979. A Nursing Center addition opened in 1985 and renovation of the 54-room personal care residence was completed in 1987. A new chapel, a prominent feature of the campus, was constructed in 1988.

While improvements like the medical clinic and wellness center continued at the Mt. Lebanon campus, plans for a new community, Providence Point, were also in the works.  The new community, which opened in 2009, has enabled Baptist Homes Society to more than double the number of seniors we serve. With sustained growth and responsible stewardship, Baptist Homes Society will continue its mission of providing a “full continuum of enriched living, compassionate care and benevolence” well into the next century.